Woodinville Experts Share Info On Porch Roof Knowledge And Repair
When Should You Replace Your Porch Roof
Porches are no longer a place where the elderly sit on rocking chairs watching over their neighborhood or farm. Nowadays, porches are a great place to entertain guests, relax, and spend time with friends and family or just enjoying the weather. Functioning as a transitional space, porches connect the interior to the exterior outdoors. They can be small and simple, or large and wrap around an entire residence. Some porches have room to serve as extra dining space for outdoor meals, and many porches can increase the curb appeal of a home and property, making them a great choice for many homeowners.
But porches require upkeep, just like any other portion of a residence, and understanding more about porches can keep them sturdy and a space to be used for years to come.
Warning Signs of a Damaged Porch Roof
One of the main aspects of a useable porch that is often overlooked by homeowners is the roof. Without the roof, the porch becomes a patio or a deck instead. Many porch roofs are separate from the residence roof, so understanding the warning signs that something might be wrong with a porch roof is an important aspect of homeownership.
- Leaks or Stains – One of the most obvious signs that a porch roof has a problem is if it’s leaking or it has water stains. Missing or loose shingles, or damaged flashing may cause leaks and could be a quick repair, but there may be a larger problem that means the porch roof should be replaced
- Rot – If the columns of the porch or the fascia begin to show rot, that’s a sign of a problem. Once rot sets in, it’s impossible to stop and once the boards are showing signs of rot it could be time to replace the porch roof.
- Roofline Dips – If there’s a noticeable dip in the roofline of the porch, it could be a sign that the sheathing is saturated and beginning to rot. This causes the roof to sag, which means it’s probably time for a replacement.
Porch Problems Impact Homes
Even though a porch is often considered a separate piece of the home, it still has the ability to affect the structure and integrity of a residence. This is why it can be so important to make sure that a porch roof and the porch itself is kept in good working order. Some ways problems with a porch can impact the rest of the home include:
- Spreading Rot – Because rot can so easily spread, rot problems in a porch that are unaddressed can slowly work its way to the rest of the house, until a porch roof replacement becomes an entire roof replacement.
- Increased Utilities – If an enclosed porch has gaps, holes, or was improperly enclosed, this can cause an increase in the utility bills of the home. Wasted energy and loss of heating or cooling through a problematic porch can lead to increased costs.
- Lower Curb Appeal – A porch that isn’t regularly used is a porch that typically isn’t regularly maintained. And when that happens a porch can quickly turn into something that’s appealing, to something that’s an eyesore for the homeowner and their neighbors.
Porch upkeep, while not a lengthy or complicated matter, is still something that shouldn’t be overlooked. Problems are easy to spot and avoid, but if ignored they can spread and become a large, and more costly, issue.
Choose Experts You Can Trust
Cobalt Exteriors are residential and commercial decking, siding, roofing, and gutter experts. Serving the Woodinville and surrounding area since 1989, they offer high-quality solutions that work within the customer’s budget.